Thursday 11 September 2014

Vietnamese keyboard

On a positive side note I've found out how to write Vietnamese like a pro with my keyboard and do cool stuff like ă and ư and even ồ̀ at the touch of a button. I went to 'Control Panel', 'Region and Language', 'Change Keyboards', click it again, 'Add Keyboards', found Vietnamese and presto: all I need to do now to alternate between an English and Vietnamese keyboard is to press left Alt + Shift.

So to write Vietnamese letters you just have to push these keys:

ă = 1
â = 2
ê = 3
ô = 4
̀ (5th tone) = 5
̉ (4th tone) = 6
̃ (3rd tone) = 7
́ (2nd tone) = 8
̣(??) = 9
đ = 0
₫ (what on earth is this tiny crossed d for?) = +/=
ư = [
ơ = ]

I'm sure there are more and I'll put them up when I find them. If you're planning to undertake this mental project to learn Vietnamese with me I hope you find it as easy to convert your English keyboard into a Vietnamese one as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment